Thursday, April 18, 2013

Thursday's Treasure

~*~
Sophie clearly loves her "Halloween Slug".  This little guy is her Earth Day Trash-to-Treasure project for school.
 ~*~
~*~
She knew just how she wanted him to look, so we gathered the "trash" from the recycle bin for the slug body.  Two water bottles glued end to end, eyestalks made from pizza box cardboard, and bottle cap eyes. 
~*~

 
~*~
He sat naked on the kitchen table for about a week while I tried to figure out how we were going to make him green the way Sophie wanted.  At this time of year in our neighborhood, the leaves are all beginning to grow.  So, she didn't want just any green- she wanted spring green. 
~*~
I went down to my recycled bedsheet fabric stash and found the perfect fabric.  While I worried over how to attach the fabric, she fell in love with him as a "ghost" - a slit cut for eye stalks and the rest just draping down.  Problem solved.  He does look pretty cute, if I do say so myself.  This was a super fun project... my favorite school project to date :)

5 comments:

Lillie and Moss said...

How c u t e !! It's amazing what you can make out of recycled things!
I love it!

Cher said...

Adorable indeed! I have been so anxious to tell you how I have been thinking of you. I receive updates from mom. Be blessed dear one.

proudmama said...

That little slug is adorable!! He almost makes me feel fondly about slugs....ALMOST! :)

Sophie looks very cute in her pretty ribbons and royal blue top....and what a beautiful head of hair she has....you can see it shine even in the photo!!

You are indeed a lucky girl to be having such a adorable slug and having such a beautiful daughter living right there by your side!!

Ribbons Undone said...

Great project for repurposing--right up your alley! Such beautiful photos of your daughter! I'm seeing a future in sosophotos!!!

Ribbons Undone said...

Great project for repurposing--right up your alley! Such beautiful photos of your daughter! I'm seeing a future in sosophotos!!!