Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Meet The Designer: Georges Briard


I went to my thrift store last night. I go to many, as you know... but this is the one I call "my" thrift store. Monday is sale day, and I usually go in the evening when it isn't as crazy busy as the morning.
~*~
So, last night I found this wicked cool midcentury apple and pear signed platter. I couldn't tell if it was glass or plastic- I'm still not 100% sure, but I'm leaning toward white glass. Anyhoo, I remembered reading a little something about this designer, but I needed to refresh my memory. I called up my pal google and found this :
~*~
"Georges Briard is the commercial name for Jascha Brojdo, the Russian-born glassware designer who created notable pieces throughout the 1950s, '60s and '70s. Briard attended the Art Institute of Chicago, then went on to have a highly successful career in the world of glassware, ceramics and enamelware, eventually receiving the Frank S. Child Lifetime Achievement Award by the Society of Glass and Ceramic Decorators. He passed away in 2005 at the age of 88."
~*~
~*~
Gotta love that internet! I can't remember what I did without it.

1 comment:

Ribbons Undone said...

I agree. What did we do before the internet? Before Ebay? Before Google? Information is just so much more readily available. Sometimes it can be dangerous though. Never contact "Dr. Google" with a health problem--he'll have you dead and buried in no time, right?