Sunday, July 22, 2012

Watermelon Wonderfulness

~*~
Today I had a lunch meeting to learn about my new job for next school year- PTA Vice President.  The gathering was held at the President's house, and all of the outgoing and incoming board members attended.  I wanted to bring something light and summery to share, and this watermelon treat was just the thing! 
~*~
I saw the main recipe for this in this month's Real Simple magazine, listed as a healthy snack.  I changed it up a bit, and here is what we have.  For every 2 cups of cubed watermelon, add one tablespoon of freshly squeezed lime juice and two teaspoons of crushed roasted pistachios.  I added chopped fresh mint as my contribution to the original recipe.  Then the secret ingredient?  Cayenne pepper.  Add as much or as little as you like- just be sure to warn guests that this treat packs a little punch. 
~*~
In my wildest dreams I would not have combined these things together, but the result is fantastic!
This would be an awesome dish to bring to any summer BBQ or soiree- it doesn't require refrigeration and probably won't be something anyone else brings.  Super simple ingredients and an awesome gourmet taste.  Win win!

2 comments:

Donna -Little Tiny Stitches said...

MMMmmmm...this looks delicious Jennie!

I'm gonna try this one over the school holidays!
I love nuts and mint in salads .....Mmmmm :o)

Hope the meeting was a success!!

xxOOxx

Ma said...

Well, for sure, you are right about one thing....never in my wildest dreams would I ever dream of combining those "out of sorts" ingredients! However, I'll take your word for it that it was an awesome treat and give it a try myself one day! Thanks for sharing this "super wild" taste treat!