Thursday, August 16, 2012

Thursday's Treasure

 Hospital charity thrift stores- run entirely by volunteers- are some of my favorites.  The two that I frequent the most have such nice people working there, and the prices are always amazing.  Imagine my delight when I spied this Singer Home Dec hardcover book on their craft shelf today!
~*~
 ~*~
It's a first edition- copyright 1961.  If you click on the photos they will enlarge and you can read the dedication.  Don't you love that bit about "whipping up gay cafes"? 
~*~
 ~*~
LOVE the photos of the rooms and furniture from that era.
~*~
~*~
The book has complete, illustrated instructions for making all sorts of wonderful things!  How awesome is the fabric they chose for the padded headboard?
~*~
 ~*~
So boxy and midcentury stylish!
~*~
 ~*~
I positively covet this lawn chair!!
~*~
 ~*~
Does anyone use a dressing table anymore?  Maybe we should bring these back!
~*~
~*~
These ladies waving to you are from a 50s crochet book that I found on the same shelf!  The caption calls this "street wear".  The crochet books were 10 cents each.  The Singer was $1.  Couch coinage!  Who says money can't buy happiness?
~*~
An aside- I've been searching my old books and magazines for fab retro haircuts.  On Saturday I'm going to get a new do to go with the new bod.  I'm not going for any of these Barbie cuts, though- don't worry!  Still looking...

2 comments:

Donna -Little Tiny Stitches said...

That's really strange cos' whilst I was sitting outside the bathroom waiting for Gems yesterday evening, I was going through my old and new patterns, and one of the vintage ones was a pattern for a few different views of the same basic pattern....a street dress! Made me crack up ;o)

Love your book finds Jennie.

Looking forward to seeing your 'before' and after photos of YOU!! -'Specially with your hair looking all peachy too :o)

xxOOxx

Ribbons Undone said...

Good luck with the hair cut!