Thursday, January 21, 2010

Mixed Emotions

When I found these partial quilt tops at one of my favorite thrift shops recently, I couldn't believe my eyes. There are 3 pieces, one medium and two large- all different patterns, all beautiful.
~*~
Can you believe the gorgeousness of those feedsack fabrics?
~*~
And would you believe that they are handsewn?
The stitching is so painstakingly even and tiny!
~*~
These works of art are in pristine condition, save for the fact that they are unfinished.
~*~
They make me want to smile and boohoo at the same time. How in the world could someone have parted with these? The love and work that went into them! *sigh*
~*~
On the bright side, maybe now they can be used to make something fabulous. Wouldn't they make amazing pillows? Or a special tote bag? I would love to see what someone could come up with!

2 comments:

Pam Geisel - For Quilts Sake said...

I've seen several wonderful antique quilts at antique stores (for much less than they're worth) and it always makes me a little sad because I think the quilts should stay in the family!

jinka said...

With a bit of flannel for the backing, they could become some infants most prized possession or with nerves of steel they could be cut into your ragball strips and sewn together for a beautiful table mat or bowl...their uses are many! Whatever you decide upon I know will be a unique and treasured item!