Saturday, September 17, 2011

Fungus Amongus

The massive rains of late have produced a bumper crop of toadstools in the neighborhood.  Sophie and I count them on the way to the bus stop.  They crop up overnight!  We marvel at their sizes, shapes, and colors.  I've never seen mushrooms like some of these, and I thought you might like to have a peek!
~*~
You can't tell from the photo, but this guy is huge.  I thought it was fake when I first saw it.
~*~
Reddish pink- who knew they came in such pretty colors?
~*~
This one looks like it has wings!
~*~
I never knew that mushrooms started out closed like this, then over time they open and eventually curl upwards.
~*~
This bright yellow one was one of my favorites!
~*~
As gross as it is, my post would not be complete without this monstrosity.  While many of the photos in this post were not taken of mushrooms in my actual yard, this particular one is.  I really did a triple take when I first spotted this bizarrely bloated creature emerging from my yucca plant.  It has since begun to shrivel, but have you ever had the displeasure of smelling decomposing mushrooms?  Ugh!  While I used to stare at this at length, now I walk quickly by while holding my breath.  It's always an adventure here in the forest!

7 comments:

PAmom said...

Thanks for sharing!!! Can't say I ever enjoyed looking at mushrooms so much!! You have quite the talent for entertaining folks with your witty words and keen sense of the "simple things" in life that we so often overlook. Wonder who else notices those mushrooms as they walk their children to the bus stop? Maybe now, lots!!!

Donna -Little Tiny Stitches said...

Jennie, these look fabulous!
Such lovely colours -but probably deadly!
You must have an amazing walk to the bus stop every day to be able to see all these beauties :o)

And the one growing off your yucca looka bit like when I've left the omelette in the pan too long! LOL :o)

Thankyou for sharing these my lovely friend.
Hope you're having a great weekend :o)

xxOOxx

Cassandra {Sleeping or Sewing} said...

Those are so great. I love looking at the mushrooms that randomly pop up every blue moon. Thanks for sharing. :-)

Minx's Den said...

wow! so many kinds! i am pretty sure they aren't edible but they look so yummy to cook with!

Donna -Little Tiny Stitches said...

P.s. Forgot to say.
Love the post title, it makes me grin ;o)

xxOOxx

Sheryl Hastings said...

Mushrooms do come up fast! You have some great pictures too. I agree, that last one is kind of odd.

I love mushrooms too. Right now in my area it's time for the Chicken of the Woods to arrive. I'm looking all over for them. I usually find a few a year.

C a m i l l e said...

Mushrooms are amazingly beautiful!!

And thanks for following me it is so appreciated!!

-Camille
garden gnome arts
http://www.gardengnomearts.com/