Saturday, February 27, 2010

Treasure to Trash


I know, I know- it's supposed to be the other way around: trash to treasure. But in my case, things got a little turned around. I found this ridiculously rad ice bucket while thrifting the other day.
~*~
It had (notice the use of past tense) an insulated metal lid with a big wooden ball knob. In my haste to get the lid cleansed of stickers and other guck, I decided to let it soak in soapy water for a bit while I accomplished a few other tasks.
~*~
Fast forward an hour, I come back to the sink hoping to just quickly wipe the lid and be done. When I picked it up, however, it was oddly heavy. Like, full of water oddly heavy. Doh. Somehow water managed to seep into the space in the middle of the lid- and there was no way to get it out.
~*~
I truly didn't love the lid anyway, but really, what is a person to do with a lidless ice bucket? I couldn't re-donate it- I love the pattern too much. Hmm. Think, think. Think more. Aha!
~*~
I have been using an ugly old box as my desk trash can- mostly for paypal label scraps and small pieces of ribbon and fabric that I accumulate while wrapping packages. Goodbye ugly box, hello sweet new petite bucket de garbage!

4 comments:

Ribbons Undone said...

So cute. It reminds me of the good ol' days: record players, The Brady Bunch, and banana seat bicycles.

Cindy said...

It is very cute! You could drill a small drain hole in the underside of the lid to get the water out.

Jennie said...

A-ha! Good point, Cindy! Thank you for that tip.

CelticKnot said...

Best trash can ever. :-)