Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Welcome to the World, Rudolph!

So, driving to school last week, I asked Sophie what she wanted for Christmas. Before she could answer, I told her I wanted to know just the ONE special thing that she wanted more than anything else. She thought and thought for at least 10 minutes. Not a word. Finally I said she could tell me two things if one was too hard. A few minutes later, she pronounced, "A talking Rudolph the reindeer".
~*~
While I quickly counted my blessings that her one desire wasn't like a stereo system or Wii or her own moonbounce, I couldn't keep myself from saying, "Really? That's the one thing you want? Don't you think your big gift should be something you play with for a long time, not just at Christmas?" She sighed a big 5 year old sigh and said "Really, Mommy. I WILL play with it always- not just at Christmas."
~*~
Well, we'll see about that!



I went home that day and googled "talking Rudolph" or something like that. I got a million and a half hits, and the first 50 were all over the map. I had no idea what talking Rudolph she was hoping for. Minor panic set in, and I began asking around to see if other mothers had heard of this mysterious talking reindeer. Nope.
~*~
I have been having some heartburn over this issue for days. This weekend I happened to be sitting on the couch while Sophie was watching TV. A commercial came on, and she jumped up and shouted, "There HE is!!!!"
~*~
We watched the advertisement with glee, and today I set off for Build-A-Bear workshop right after I drove Sophie to school. I stuffed her Rudolph and gave him a heart and a wish, then I couldn't resist buying the sleigh driver outfit and the hat/scarf set pictured. And the Rudolph song insert. Who knew that birthing a reindeer could be so fun?
~*~
$50 later (yes, FIFTY), my child will have her Christmas dreams come true. Priceless.
What are your munchkins hoping that Santa will leave under the tree?

5 comments:

Ribbons Undone said...

Great story! It's fun playing Santa, and a bit overwhelming as well.

Let's see--Glenn Jr. wants Legos. Catherine wants another, yes another, American Girl doll. Cha-ching!

Minx's Den said...

that's so sweet! i bet she will love it!! I have that movie and I watch it over and over again during the xmas season!

Evelyn said...

my Sofie got quite a few on her list and one that she and her brother has been asking for months now is Nintendo DS (sigh) not sure if I will give in...we'll see.

CelticKnot said...

Wow, you both are SO cute! You're such a wonderful mom.

Schar Freeman said...

This is a wonderful and touching Christmas sosorosey story Jennie! A special memory for you both. Your talking Rudolph is adorable!

Mele Kalikimaka!!!